SECTION VI: Guidelines For Preparing to Call West Virginia 811.
The call center is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and all calls to WV 811 are recorded. The CSRs are trained to obtain specific information concerning locate requests. They will enter information into a computer, therefore the order of questions are preset. There is a specific reason for each question asked which are explained in this section.
Locate request processing is simple if the caller is prepared to answer all questions with information that is as detailed and precise as possible. This limits unnecessary call backs from WV 811 members. Preparation is the key for your call to go as quickly and efficiently as possible. The best way to prepare to call in a locate is to have the following information readily available.
1. Caller’s Name. The caller’s first and last names are taken in order to maintain a record of all locate requests. This information is also helpful in the event that it’s necessary for a facility owner/operator to contact someone for additional information.
2. Telephone Number. The telephone number (including area code) of the caller is taken in case additional information is required at a later time by WV 811 members. This number is also used to activate computer databases which can fill in the answers to questions 3, 4, 5, 6 & 18 which saves the caller additional time. The attendant will read back this information for verification.
3. Fax Number. If applicable, provide this information.
4. Not Involved Response. WV 811 members must notify callers if they have no facilities at the work site. The caller will be asked if they would like this response or not. If they do, they will be asked how they wish to receive it, which can be by phone, fax or email.
5. Business Mailing Address. The mailing address of the caller’s company address and is not to be confused with the excavation site address. This is recorded in order to maintain the computer database and a mailing list which may be utilized to notify excavators of information pertaining to WV 811 on a periodic basis. This information will not be used for any other reason.
6. Work Date and Time. It is very important not to begin your excavation or demolition work prior to the stated date and time. Notices of not less than 48 business hours nor more than 10 business days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, state & federal holidays are required by Chapter 24-C.
7. County and Town/Community. The county and town/community (or nearest town) where the work is to be performed.
8. In or Out of the Town Corporate Limits. The excavation work is going to take place inside or outside of the town limits; the work will be both inside & outside the town limits; or you are not sure or don’t know.
9. Worksite Address. This is the site where the excavation is to take place.
10. Nearest Intersection or Cross Street/Road. This information helps to pinpoint where the job site is if within a town or city. Also provide distance and direction from intersection.
11. Longitude and Latitude. If applicable WV 811 map grids may be given. Longitude and latitude points may also be used if known. If readings are obtained from GPS units, make certain the GPS units are performing accurately.